Sunday, June 6, 2010

Moments in Time

It must have been nineteen thirty nine or nineteen forty
Just behind Gretz's house
Behind their fence and the old oak tree
How I heard of such an offer
And where I ever got the ten cents
I'll never know, memory fails me now
But somehow I got the money and sent for it
‘Allow two weeks for delivery’ the ad said
I remember the wait as a million years
The postmaster just shook his head each day
When I asked if the package was there
And then one glorious day it arrived
I unpacked it carefully
Just behind Gretz's house
Behind their fence and the old oak tree
The one with the great rotted hole in the bottom
I unwrapped it ever so gently and lifted it out
There it was in all its glory
It was all the ad said it would be
And it fit just right after some adjustments
And nothing, nothing since that day
Behind Gretz's house
Behind their fence and the old oak tree
On that warm summer afternoon,
Has anything been as grand and glorious
As that secret decoder ring
God! How I miss that ring

No comments:

Post a Comment